261 West 47th Street
New York, NY 10036
The Samuel J. Friedman Theatre opened on December 7, 1925 as the Biltmore with the play Easy Come Easy Go. Architect Herbert J. Krapp designed it for Irwin Chanin. Originally, it had 903 seats and was one of Broadway’s smaller houses. The Federal Theatre’s Living Newspaper project used the venue in the 1930s. From 1952 until 1961, CBS rented it out as a radio and television studio. The rock musical Hair opened at the theatre in 1968. In 1987, a fire destroyed the interior. The venue sat unused for fourteen years and endured more damage from vandalism and water. Manhattan Theatre Club obtained the venue in 2001 to house its productions. The theatre was restored and rebuilt with 650 seats. On September 4, 2008, the venue was renamed the Samuel J. Friedman Theatre in honor of the Broadway publicist.