245 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10036
- Pass Over
Pass Over draws inspiration from Waiting for Godot and the Exodus story and is placed on a city street corner. Moses and Kitch are the stars as they stand around talking shit, passing the time and hoping that maybe today will be different. As they dream of their promised land, a stranger wanders into their space and disrupts their plans.
The August Wilson Theatre was designed by architects C. Howard Crane and Kenneth Franzheim and constructed by the Theatre Guild. In 1925, it opened as the Guild Theatre with a revival of Caesar and Cleopatra by George Bernard Shaw. The venue was rented out to WOR-Mutual Radio as a studio in 1943. In 1950, the American National Theater and Academy purchased it and renamed it the ANTA Theatre. Jujamcyn Theaters purchased it in 1981 and named it the Virginia Theatre to honor the owner and Jujamcyn Board member, Virginia McKnight Binger. James H. Binger died in 2004, and producer and president of Jujamcyn, Rocco Landesman, stated that he planned to purchase Jujamcyn. Two weeks after August Wilson’s death, the theatre was renamed in his honor on October 16, 2005.