149 West 45th Street
New York, NY 10036
The Lyceum Theatre was constructed by producer-manager David Frohman in 1903 and is Broadway’s oldest consistently operating legitimate theatre. Its opening production was The Proud Prince. The theatre was designed by architects Hert and Tallant in the Beaux Arts style. When it opened the building presented a high-tech ventilation system, as air was passed over either ice chambers or steam coils on its way into the theatre, the auditorium was maintained cool in the summer and retained heat in the winter. Frohman built an apartment for himself above the theatre which included a small door that offered a view of the stage below. There is a legend that Frohman waved a white handkerchief out the door to tell his wife, actress Margaret Illington, that she was overacting. In 1940 the theatre was obtained by a company of producers which included George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart. The Shuberts took over in 1950 and have been operating it ever since. This theatre currently houses the Shubert Archive.