Broadway Theatre Houses

Interactive 3D Seating charts • History • Street Maps • Photos

  • Studio 54

    254 West 54th Street New York, NY 10019 Studio 54 originally opened as the Gallo Opera House in 1927 with a production of La Boheme.  Impresario Fortune Gallo struggled financially with the opera and eventually began producing nonmusical productions such as Electra, starring Antoinette Perry.  After constant failures, the venue was sold in foreclosure after the stock ...

  • The Al Hirschfeld Theatre

    302 West 45th Street New York, NY 10036 The Al Hirschfeld Theatre openedMadame Pompadour.  Wonderful Town.  The Wedding Singer, A Tale of Two Cities, Elf.

  • The Ambassador Theatre

    219 West 49th Street New York, NY 10019   The Ambassador Theatre was designed for the Shuberts by architect Herbert J. Krapp and opened on February 11, 1921, with the musical The Rose Girl.  To fit the maximum number of seats possible, the theatre is positioned diagonally on its site.  As a result, stage-wing space is minimal.  In ...

  • The American Airlines Theatre

    227 West 42nd Street New York, NY  10036 The American Airlines Theatre was designed by George Keister and built by the Selwyn brothers, Edgar and Archie, in 1918.  Originally named the Selwyn Theatre, the theatre is a historic Italian Renaissance style Broadway venue.  When built, its most unique feature was separate smoking rooms for men and women.  Also, ...

  • The August Wilson Theatre

    245 West 52nd Street New York, NY 10036 The August Wilson Theatre was designed by architects C. Howard Crane and Kenneth Franzheim and constructed by the Theatre Guild.  In 1925, it opened as the Guild Theatre with a revival of Caesar and Cleopatra by George Bernard Shaw.  The venue was rented out to WOR-Mutual Radio as a ...

  • The Belasco Theatre

    111 West 44th Street New York, NY 10036 The Belasco Theatre was opened by David Belasco on October 16, 1907 as the Stuyvesant Theatre.  He had already bestowed his name on his 42nd Street playhouse (currently known as the New Victory), but when he resigned from that theatre in 1910, he renamed the Stuyvesant the Belasco.  Belasco ...

  • The Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre

    242 West 45th Street New York, NY 10036 The Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre was constructed in 1927 as the Royale Theatre by the Chanin Brothers.  It was built as part of a three-theatre facility that included the Majestic and the John Golden (formerly known as the Theatre Masque).  This design allowed producers to move shows to the ...

  • The Booth Theatre

    222 West 45th Street New York, NY 10036 The Booth Theatre was built by Lee Shubert and Winthrop Ames for actor Edwin Booth.  The site was the second New York theatre to take on this name.  Ames’s father wanted to continue the actor’s legacy, so the construction of the theatre not only honored Booth, but connected Ames’s ...

  • The Broadhurst Theatre

    235 West 44th Street New York, NY 10036   The Broadhurst Theatre, which opened in 1917 with a production of George Bernard Shaw’s Misalliance, is named after playwright George H. Broadhurst. Broadhurst, who was from England, came to America in 1886. Along with being a playwright, he was also managed venues, running various theatres in Milwaukee, Baltimore, and ...

  • The Broadway Theatre

    Broadway at 53rd Street New York, NY 10019 The Broadway Theatre opened in 1924 as B.S. Moss’s Colony, a premiere film house.  B.S. Moss hired architect Eugene DeRosa to design the building as part of his movie theatre chain, many of which also housed vaudeville.  Since the theatre was so large, the space was perfect for musical ...

  • The Brooks Atkinson Theatre

    256 West 47th Street New York, NY 10036 Originally built as the Mansfield Theatre by the Chanin brothers, the Brooks Atkinson Theatre opened on February 15, 1926.  It was designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp.  It was abandoned after 1933 until Michael Myerberg bought it in 1945 and rented it to CBS for television productions.  Known as ...

  • The Circle in the Square Theatre

    1633 Broadway New York, NY 10019 The original Circle in the Square was founded in Greenwich Village in 1951, and it did not have a theatre license. The original Circle in the Square was founded by Paul Libin, Theodore Mann, and Jose Quintero in 1951 and was located in Greenwich Village.  They did not have a theatre license, ...

  • The Cort Theatre

    138 West 48th Street New York, NY 10036 The Cort Theatre is the only existing and functioning legitimate theatre designed by Thomas Lamb.  Lamb’s exterior design was inspired by the 18th century French Petit Trianon at Versailles and his interior design by the architecture from the period of Louis XVI.  The stage’s arch is comprised of perforated ...

  • The Ethel Barrymore Theatre

    243 West 47th Street New York, NY 10036 The Ethel Barrymore Theatre is the last theatre Lee and J.J. Shubert constructed, and it is the only surviving theatre that the Shuberts built for performers who were associated with them.  Designed by Herbert J. Krapp for renowned actress Ethel Barrymore (extremely popular in New York and London), the ...

  • The Eugene O’ Neill Theatre

    230 West 49th Street New York, NY 10019 The Eugene O’ Neill Theatre opened on November 24, 1925, with the musical Mayflowers.  It was designed by Herbert J. Krapp and built for the Shuberts as part of a three-hotel complex named in honor of the 19th century tragedian Edwin Forrest.  In 1945, the theatre was renamed the ...

  • The Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre

    236 West 45th Street New York, NY 10036 The Shuberts constructed the Gerald Schoenfeld (originally named the Plymouth) in 1917 along with the adjoining Broadhurst.  It was architect Herbert Krapp’s first independent design contract.  The venue was originally rented out to producer Arthur M. Hopkins.  It opened with a production of Sweet Calamity followed by three Ibsen ...

  • The Gershwin Theatre

    222 West 51st Street New York, NY 10019 The Gershwin Theatre opened on November 28, 1972 as the Uris.  It was the first new legitimate theatre built on Broadway since 1928.  Gerald Oestreicher rented it out for 30 years, and the opening production was Via Galactica, a space musical starring Raul Julia.  The show closed after only ...

  • The Helen Hayes Theatre

    240 West 44th Street New York, NY 10036 The Helen Hayes Theatre was designed by architect Harry Creighton Ingalls, and built by Winthrop Ames.  It was originally named the Little Theatre because of its small size and dedication to housing intimate productions.  On March 12, 1912, the theatre opened with The Pigeon by John Galsworthy.  Herbert J. Krapp redesigned the ...

  • The Hudson Theatre

    141 W. 44th Street, New York, NY 10036 This historic treasure is one of the oldest theatres on Broadway. It originally opened in 1903, with Ethel Barrymore starring in Cousin Kate. Through the mid-1900s, it alternated as a television studio, a legitimate theater, and a rock-and-roll venue. Through the nineties and 00s, it served Millenium Hotels as ...

  • The Imperial Theatre

    249 West 45th Street New York, NY 10036 The Imperial Theatre was the Shubert’s fiftieth New York venue and was constructed to house musical theatre hits.  The theatre was built to replace the Shubert’s 20 year old Lyric Theatre.  The Imperial opened in 1923 with Mary Jane McKane.  Broadway’s biggest money-maker followed in 1924 with the operetta ...

  • The John Golden Theatre

    252 West 45th Street New York, NY 10036 The John Golden Theatre was originally constructed in 1927 as the Theatre Masque by the Chanin Brothers.  It was part of a facility that included the Royale and the Majestic.  The Theatre Masque was the most intimate of the three theatres and was created for serious dramas.  Designed by ...

  • The Longacre Theatre

    220 West 48th Street New York, NY 10036   The Longacre Theatre was constructed by producer/manager H.H. Frazee (the owner of the Boston Red Sox who sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees).  He named the theatre after Longacre Square, which is now known as Times Square.  Frazee’s notable productions at the Longacre include Kick In (1914), with John ...

  • The Lunt-Fontanne Theatre

    205 West 46th Street New York, NY 10036 The Lunt-Fontanne Theatre opened in 1910 and was originally named The Globe, after Shakespeare’s theatre in England.  The theatre was designed with a retractable roof to allow the theatre to remain open and stay cool during the summer months.  In the early years of this venue, the comedy team ...

  • The Lyceum Theatre

    149 West 45th Street New York, NY 10036   The Lyceum Theatre was constructed by producer-manager David Frohman in 1903 and is Broadway’s oldest consistently operating legitimate theatre.  Its opening production was The Proud Prince.  The theatre was designed by architects Hert and Tallant in the Beaux Arts style.  When it opened the building presented a high-tech ventilation ...

  • The Lyric Theatre

    213 West 42nd Street New York, NY 10036 The Lyric Theatre, formerly the Foxwoods Theatre, opened as the Ford Center for the Performing Arts in 1997 on the site of the former Apollo and original Lyric Theatres.  Both of these venues were neglected in the early 1990s.  They were eventually reclaimed by the City and State of ...

  • The Majestic Theatre

    247 West 44th Street New York, NY 10036 The Chanin Brothers constructed the Majestic Theatre in 1927 as part of a three-theatre facility that also included the Royale and the Theatre Masque (now the John Golden).  The Majestic is a large musical house, and it supplemented the other two theatres, allowing producers to move shows based on ...

  • The Marquis Theatre

    200 West 45th Street New York, NY 10036 The Marquis Theatre, Broadway’s newest legitimate theatre, opened on August 10, 1986, and is located in the Marriot Marquis Hotel.  It was designed to provide maximum comfort for the audience and actors in an intimate setting.  The theatre presents high ceilings, wide aisles, plenty of restrooms and parking, a ...

  • The Minskoff Theatre

    200 West 45th Street New York, NY 10036 The Minskoff Theatre opened on March 13, 1973, and was named after one of New York’s well-known real estate families, Sam Minskoff and Sons.  It opened with a revival of the musical Irene starring Debbie Reynolds and Patsy Kelly.  Architect Mariuca Brancoveanu designed a dramatic new setting for the ...

  • The Music Box Theatre

    239 West 45th Street New York, NY 10036 The Music Box Theatre was constructed because of an offer Sam H. Harris, a well-known producer, made to his friend Irving Berlin in 1919.  Harris proposed that if the songwriter would create a musical revue, he would find a venue for it.  Berlin wrote The Music Box Revue and ...

  • The Nederlander Theatre

    208 West 41st Street New York, NY 10036   The Nederlander was constructed in 1921 and has been known throughout the years by various names. First it was named the National, then it became the Billy Rose, named in 1959 after the famous producer/songwriter who bought it, and in 1979 it became the Trafalgar when James and Joseph ...

  • The Neil Simon Theatre

    250 West 52nd Street New York, NY 10019 The Neil Simon Theatre opened as the Alvin in 1927.  On June 29, 1983, it was renamed in honor of Neil Simon following the successful production of Brighton Beach Memoirs (with Matthew Broderick), which was the first play in an autobiographical trilogy about Simon’s family and youth.  The second ...

  • The New Amsterdam Theatre

    214 West 42nd Street New York, NY 10036 The New Amsterdam Theatre was built in 1903 by A.L. Erlanger and Marcus Claw.  Architects Herts and Tallant designed the venue in the Art Nouveau style.  It is the oldest surviving Broadway theatre along with the Lyceum Theatre.  The theatre opened in November 1903 with Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s ...

  • The Palace Theatre

    1564 Broadway New York, NY 10036       The Palace Theatre opened in 1913 and until the 1930s it was the most prestigious vaudeville theatre in the country.  This venue has housed numerous famous performers including Will Rogers, Ethel Merman, Judy Garland, Jerry Lewis, Bette Midler, and Diana Ross.  The Nederlanders converted it into a legitimate theatre in 1965 ...

  • The Richard Rodgers Theatre

      226 West 46th Street New York, NY 10036 Originally named Chanin’s 46th Street Theatre, the venue was constructed by Irwin Chanin and opened in 1924.  The Shuberts bought the venue in 1931 and renamed it the 46th Street Theatre.  The Nederlander Organization purchased and renovated the theatre in 1982.  It was renamed in 1990 in honor of ...

  • The Samuel J. Friedman Theatre

    261 West 47th Street New York, NY 10036 On December 7, 1925, the Samuel J. Friedman Theatre opened as the Biltmore. It was renamed in 2008 in honor of the Broadway publicist, Samuel J. Friedman. The Samuel J. Friedman Theatre opened on December 7, 1925 as the Biltmore with the play Easy Come Easy Go. Architect Herbert ...

  • The Shubert Theatre

    225 West 44th Street New York, NY 10036       The Shubert Theatre had its origin in The New Theatre and was located on Central Park West. It was dedicated to serious repertory drama.  Despite the fact that it was a failure, the New Group (which included Lee Shubert) rented out land between 44th and 45th Streets to build ...

  • The St. James Theatre The St. James Theatre stands on the site of the original Sardi’s restaurant.

    246 West 44th Street New York, NY 10036 Abraham L. Erlanger, theatrical producer and founding member of the Theatrical Syndicate, constructed the St. James Theatre.  It stands on the location of the original Sardi’s restaurant. In 1927, it opened as the Erlanger Theatre with a production of Merry Malones.  In 1930, Erlanger died and the theatre was ...

  • The Stephen Sondheim Theatre

    125 West 43rd Street New York, NY 10036 Architects Paul R. Allen and Ingalls & Hoffman designed the Stephen Sondheim Theatre in the Neo-classical style.  It was constructed by and originally named for actor-producer Henry Miller.  On April 1, 1918, it opened with a production of The Fountain of Youth.  It was the first theatre in Manhattan ...

  • The Vivian Beaumont Theatre

    150 West 65th Street New York, NY 10023 The Vivian Beaumont Theatre opened on October 21, 1965.  It was designed by the famous architect Eero Saarinen and named in honor of Vivian Beaumont Allen, a renowned New York philanthropist.  The Beaumont was originally the home of The Repertory Theater of Lincoln Center, which closed in 1973.  ...

  • The Walter Kerr Theatre

    219 West 48th Street New York, NY 10036 The Walter Kerr Theatre was designed by Herbert J. Krapp and built by the Shubert family in 1921 as the Ritz Theatre.  Between 1943 and 1965, ABC used the venue as a radio and television studio.  Between 1965 and 1971, the venue remained dormant.  In 1971, the theatre reopened ...

  • The Winter Garden Theatre

    1634 Broadway New York, NY 10019 The Winter Garden was built on and in the second American Horse Exchange. The Exchange had been constructed in 1896 when Longacre Square (now Times Square) was the center of the horse and carriage trade.  The Shuberts rented out the Exchange in 1911 and transformed it into the Winter Garden Theatre.  ...