302 West 45th Street
New York, NY 10036
The Al Hirschfeld Theatre opened on November 11, 1924 as the Martin Beck Theatre with a production of Madame Pompadour. The theatre was designed by architect G. Albert Lansburgh for vaudeville advocate Martin Beck. It was the only theatre in New York owned completely without a mortgage. The Martin Beck was designed to be the most luxurious theatre of its time. Celebrities who have performed at the venue include Christina Applegate, David Hyde Pierce, and Daniel Radcliffe. The theatre holds dressing rooms for 200 actors and has a seating capacity of 1,424 for musicals. It was renamed the Al Hirschfeld Theatre on June 21, 2003, in honor of the famous caricaturist who drew pictures of Broadway celebrities. On November 23, 2003, the theatre reopened with a revival of the musical Wonderful Town. Other productions that have been hosted by the Hirschfeld include The Wedding Singer, A Tale of Two Cities, and Elf.